- Garrett's Challah Loaf
- A nice loaf to impress your family and friends.
- Preparation Time: 4 ½ hours
- Makes 1 bread loafs
- 5 c Flour
- 4 ½ tspn of dry yeast (about 2 packages)
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- 2 tblspn of sugar
- Dash of saffron
- ¼ cups of butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yoke
- 1 tblspn poppy seeds
- You'll need:
- Greased cookie sheet
- Large mixing bowl
- Electronic Mixer
- Basting brush
- Candy Thermometer
- Cookie Sheet
- Small Sauce Pan
- Soften yeast in ½ cup warm water (about 110°)
- In a sauce pan, heat milk, butter, sugar, 2 tspn salt and
saffron till sugar dissolves.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- In a large mixing bowl add 2 cups of flour and blend in the
- Beat at low speed with electronic mixer for ½ minutes.
Scraping sides of bowl constantly.
- Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead dough until
smooth and elastic (about 8 to 10 minutes).
- Shape into a ball and place in a greased bowl, turn the ball
so all sides are lightly greased.
- Cover and let stand in a warm place until ball doubles in
size. (about 1 hour*)
- When the dough has risen, punch dough down and turn out onto
a lightly floured surface.
- Punch down and divide into thirds. Roll gently into balls.
- Cover and let rest. (approx 10 min).
- Roll each third into an 18 inch strand.
- Braid strands **
- Secure ends ***
- Place on a greased baking sheet, tucked end down.
- Cover and let rise till dough doubles in size. (about 45
- Add about 1 to 2 tblspns of water to egg yoke in a small
- Brush yoke mixture over the top and edges of Challah loaf.
- Sprinkle loaf with poppy seeds
- Bake at 375° until done (approx. 45 to 50 minutes)
- Serve warm with butter and your favorite jelly or jam.
- * If the dough doesn't rise after 1 ½ hours, something
went wrong and it won't rise at all. Go ahead and make the rolls,
but they'll be thick and heavy instead of light and fluffy.
- ** Line up the 3 ropes, 1 inch apart. Begin with the left
strand and place it over the middle strand. Take the right strand
and place it over both strands to the left. Take the middle strand
and place it over the strand on the right. Take the new middle
strand and place it over the strand on the left. Continue until
strands are braided.
- *** Pinch ends of dough together and tuck under the loaf.