- Aunt Mildred's Loaf Bread
- This recipe was shared with family in friends in loving memory
of Aunt Mildred Marie Guinn Stoots. We lost our precious Aunt
in January 2009. And we happily share our memories of her kitchen
with the world.
- Preparation Time: 1 hour
- Total Rising Time: 2 hours
- Serves: Makes 1 loaf
- 1 pkg yeast
- 3 c warm water
- 6 tblspn sugar
- 1 tblspn salt
- 10 tblspn shortening
- 5-6 c flour (enough to make a stiff dough)
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add sugar and salt, mix well.
- Let mixture stand for 20 minutes
- Add shortening and flour to make a stiff dough to yeast mix.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place bread dough in a large lightly greased bowl. Cover
with a light weight towel and place in a warm location. (We sat
the bowl on the top of the stove).
- Let stand until double in bulk. Approx 1 hour.
- On floured surface, knead several times.
- Divide into 3 parts and place in greased loaf pans.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Place loaf pans onto of stove and let dough rise to the top
of pans. (Approx 1 hour).
- Bake at 350° F for 25 to 40 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold with your favorite topping or for you