- Heritage Home | Family
Genealogy | Recipes
Salads & Sandwiches
- Irish Potato Soup
- Gary and I have been delving into our Celtic roots and trying
some of Scotland and Ireland's dishes. This is a recipe I stumbled
on one day. We've tweaked it just a little to our own taste and
to make it into an easier preparation.
- Preparation time: About 1 hour
- Serves: 6
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 5 c. chick stock
- 1 c. whole milk (or 1 small can of cream)
- 1 tbspn butter
- 1 tblspn parsley
- 1 tspn salt
- 1 tspn pepper
- Peel and dice the potatoes into 1 inch cubes (or smaller).
- Dice the onion.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt butter and saute the onion for
about 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, coating thoroughly with the butter and
- Cover and gently cook potatoes until soft. (don't let them
- Add the liquid, salt and pepper.
- Stir frequently and cook over medium heat for approximately
15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- Using a ladle, spoon soup into bowls (makes about 6 bowls).
- Decorate with a pinch of parsley.