- Heritage Home | Family
Genealogy | Recipes
Cakes, Cookies & Pies
- Vickie's Traditional Pumpkin
- It's harvest time and there's nothing like a slice of traditional
- Total preparation time: 1 hour.
- Cooking time 60 minutes.
- 4 hours for cooling.
- The Crust:
- This recipe calls for a two-crust pie. One crust for the
pie, and one for decorating the edges.
- Follow the Two Crust Pie Recipe.
- The Pie Filing:
- 1 can (16 oz) pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 tspn ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tspn salt
- 1 tspn allspice
- Pre-heat oven 425°
- Mix all dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add eggs and beat slightly
- Stir in pumpkin and evaporated milk
- Mix thoroughly
- Pour into pie pan.
- Place the cookie dough cuttings around the edge of the pie.
- Cover entire pie with aluminum foil (this will keep your
crust from browning too much)
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350° and bake for 40 to 50
minutes, or until the center is set.
- Cool in pie plate on wire rack for about 1 hour.
- Then refrigerate for at least 3 hours until serving.
- Serve with whipped cream topping or vanilla ice cream.
- Aidan's Kid Pie:
- We found a small pie pan at our local Ben Franklin craft
store. Along with a kid's size roller and mixing spoon. Perfect
for little hands to help in the kitchen. The pie pan is about
4 inches in diameter and we filled it with about 1/2 cup of pie
filing from the main mix. He selected the cookie cutters to use
for his own crust decorations and did a great job placing them
on his pie. Cooking time is about 30 minutes.