- Vickie's Roast Beast Stew
- Ever since I was a little kid, I've loved the Grinch Who
Stole Christmas. Especially the ending when the Grinch is serving
the 'roast beast' for dinner. The name was the inspiration for
my own roast beef concoction. A delectable beef stew to calm
any beastly appetite.
- Preparation time:
- 20 minutes, but you're going to cook it in a crock-pot for
12 to 18 hours
- or the easier method, start preparation at 9pm, cook it over
night until dinner the next day.
- If you use the over night method, you'll have to check it
several times during the day to add water.
- 1 Large roast
- 1 small onion
- 1 teaspoon celery salt (you can use 5 stalks of celery cut
into small slices instead)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 Bay leaves
- 5 large potatoes
- 1 large bag of frozen cut green beans
- 4 raw carrots (optional)
- Dice the onion, cut the celery and slice the potatoes into
cubes and mix together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add bouillon cubes and 1 bay leaf.
- Spread 1/4 of this mixture on the bottom of the crock-pot.
- Turn the pot on medium.
- Cut any large layers of fat off the roast, then place it
on top of the mixture in the pot.
- Place the remaining vegetable mixture around and on top of
- Add the 2nd bay leaf
- Add enough hot water to cover the top of the roast and vegetables.
- Cover and cook.
- After 6 hours of cooking, you will need to gently stir the
mixture with a large ladle. Add additional hot water as necessary
to keep the mixture covered.