- Mamaw Carey's Sausage Gravy
- A real southern dish that will surely stick to your ribs.
I can remember Mom fixing this dish for various occasions, and
not just for breakfast. Special dinners such as Turkey or Christmas
dinners always had a side of sausage gravy on the side.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- 1 lb sausage roll (Bob Evans or Jimmy Dean is best)
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups of milk
- Salt and black pepper
- Cut sausage roll into 1/4 inch patties and fry them in a
- Remove cooked patties and set them aside to cool slightly.
- Add flour to left over grease in the skillet. Scrape with
a fork to mix the grease and the flour until it becomes light
- Add the milk and stir thoroughly.
- Crumble the sausage patties into the skillet and stir.
- Add salt and pepper to desired taste.
- Allow mix to boil, stirring constantly until thick.
- Thickness is up to you. If it's too thick, add a little more
milk (1/4 cup at time). If it's too thin, add flour (2 tblspns
at a time).
- Serve plain, over country biscuits or buttered toast.
- Consider sauteing chopped onions with the sausage to add
a western flair.