- Vickie's TexMex Tacos
- A very simple and easy dish for that casual get together.
- Preparation Time: 1 hour
- 1 lbs Bison (Buffalo) Burger
- 1 pkg. El Paso Taco Seasoning
- 1 16oz jar El Paso Salsa (Pick your own heat. We use Medium)
- Corn Taco Shells
- Soft Flour Tortilla Shells
- Brown meat in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Drain any grease that may remain (There's not much in bison,
so you may not need to do this).
- Sprinkle Taco Seasoning over meat and blend in well.
- Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour in entire jar of Salsa and let simmer for 10 minutes,
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
To create a Flour Tortilla Salad Bowl, you can buy metal shell
forms to place the tortilla's into and using a large deep dish
pot or fryer, fry them to the desired shape. Or you can use a
medium sized skillet and fry them flat, or use a wooden tong
to help shape them into a traditional taco shell shape.
- Heat corn oil over medium heat. It will take about 10 minutes
to get the oil hot enough to fry the shells.
- Place one tortilla in the oil and cook it for 2 to 3 minutes,
or until the shell is lightly browned.
- Remove from oil and let the excess drain back into the pot.
- Place shell onto 2 paper towels folded, to absorb the remaining
- Serve tacos with side dishes of freshly cut tomatoes, lettuce
and shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
- Add chopped onions, jalapenos, sour cream and guacamole for
- If you like hot foods, try setting a bottle of habenaro sauce
on the table for just a dab of topping.
- If you don't like hot foods, try using only ½ of the
package of taco seasoning.
- If your lips start to burn from the hot seasonings, try coating
them with a dab of cool honey. Yes, honey. It really does work.